Monday, March 5, 2007

Lunar Thoughts…

Some of the best and worst philosophy strikes you in the middle of the night, especially during a lunar eclipse. I was told about it a day before itself, but, never thought I'd see it. Three o’clock in the morning seems like a crazy time to do anything other than sleep, unless of course you don’t sleep…

I was lucky that night, the sheer freedom of being alone kept me awake, as I browsed, read, listened to music, answered scraps without the usual daytime responsibility.

And then suddenly outside my bedroom window was a rather funny looking, slightly red moon. It was strange, almost beckoning the world to see it and perhaps even save it in this dark hour beyond witching. An eclipsed moon brings out certain primeval thoughts. The dark demon swallowing it whole, perhaps never to return it again, the scientific mind screams, but….

Of course, usual ideas of being a dot of the vast space went through the head. And so did the thought that just suppose we are the only life in this vast universe. Six billion people and the millions of other teeming life. But that’s all there is, because there is no other life around….no one else in this vast universe. Life on earth was an accident…

But philosophies of midnight need to be discounted….especially if the moon beckons.
So in this dark hour, I went out to see the moon a little better. Three o’clock o four in the morning is a nice time. The goons who were awake last night have passed out fatigued with their booze by now, and it is too early for the daytime sneaks to get up…so you are safe. Reaching a higher plane I saw the eclipse, without a thought in my head. No philosophy, no cynicism, no wisdom,just the sight of a moon being partially devoured and then returned. I was in time and space with the few others across the world who saw this. Scientists and astronomers armed with data, riders on the highway, night shift workers….anyone who was awake. These are the times you are glad to be alive….and no you are never that alone.

3 comments:

Pranaadhika Sinha Devburman - Bat said...

Wow... that was like Roald Dahl

Unknown said...

I got up at 4:15 am and watched the beautifull holi full moon having the shadow of the earth devour it. It was intersting. I watched from my upstairs room terrace. I also watched dawn come in. Yeah, it was a peacefull time of the night and the site was nice.

Glad you enjoyed it too.

Prince K. said...

Aha! Another moon-watcher. I am particularly crazy about the moon.
I woke up at 1AM to watch the eclipse...
Beautiful, beautiful. Can't think of any other word...